Information technology consulting (also called IT consulting, Computer consultancy, Computing consultancy, technology consulting business and technology services or IT advisory) is a field that focuses on advising businesses on how best to use information technology to meet their business objectives. In addition to providing advice, IT consultancies often estimate, manage, implement, deploy, and administer IT systems on businesses’ behalf, known as Outsourcing.
Why IT Consultancy?
- To gain external, more objective advice and recommendations
- To gain access to the consultants’ specialized expertise
- Simply as temporary help during a one-time project, where the hiring of permanent employees is not required
- To outsource all or part of the IT services
Five basic principles
- Focus on the Relationship: Understanding the personality and expectations of client, client organization and all other stakeholders
- Clearly Defined Role: Defined roles and responsibilities for both clients, other stakeholders and consulting team
- Visualize Success: Helping the client see the end at the beginning
- You Advise, They Decide: Client is the best person to decide
- Be Oriented Towards Results: Ensuring that the solution addresses end user concerns, user training, implementation and maintenance constraints